Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hello

Hello everyone.

Shalom and Salaam. Peace be upon you.

I am writing from Jerusalem, Israel. I will be spending the next 6 weeks in the West Bank with Christian Peacemaker Teams and International Solidarity Movement- 2 human rights groups that are working to bring awareness to abuses committed against Palestinians in the West Bank by the Israeli army and settlers, and who put themselves in situations where abuses are likely to occur.

Often the presence of international observers helps deter the violators because if anything happens to us they get bad publicity and that is something they do not want. There is the risk of getting teargassed, arrested or beaten. Some volunteers have been shot but that is rare. Most come back home safe and sound.

Christian Peacemaker Teams challenges injustice and violence against civilians. In addition to its ministry in Palestine, it also works in Colombia, Iraq, the Philippines and parts of Canada and the US. International Solidarity Movement works in Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

Why am I going? I believe that there is a very strong Biblical call for Christians to work for justice. Jesus calls on Christians to hunger and thirst for righteousness, and if necessary to suffer for it. In ancient Israel, God called on His people to stand up for the widows and orphans- people who at that time were among the most marginalised and oppressed in society. Christians have led the struggle to abolish slavery in the US and England, have led the civil rights movement, and have taken part in many campaigns to oppose oppression and stand up for its victims.

I have been following the Israeli-Palestinian conflict for many years. There are many victims on both sides but it cannot be denied that Palestinian people make up most of the dead and maimed. I love the Jewish people and am glad to be in Israel but I believe that what is happening to the Palestinians is wrong and an act of injustice. Therefore, I am coming to Palestine hoping to help prevent the violence, to stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people, and to share their voices and my experiences with them to people in Canada when I come back.

I do want to be a witness to the Gospel to Jews and Muslims and hope they will one day find eternal peace in Jesus. Although my primary purpose is human rights work, I am praying that God provides oppurtunities to engage in interfaith dialogoue. The groups I am going with do not prosyletize and it is not the purpose of my trip but if an oppurtunity arises for discussion I will take it.

I am now in Jerusalem and enjoying 4 days of vacation. My CPT delegation begins on Wednesday and lasts 10 days. Afterwards I go off for 3.5 weeks with ISM.

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are only my own. Although I will be working with CPT and ISM, what you will be reading solely comes from me and does not necessarily reflect the stance or policy of either ISM, CPT or any other organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment