Tuesday, July 20, 2010

More random pictures from the Arab quarters

 
Market scene. The head coverings that the Muslim women are wearing are called hijabs. They are optional and no one is forced to wear them. I have seen many Christian and Muslim women and girls with their hair uncovered.

Interestingly, before getting close to Jewish, Christian and Muslim holy sites the women in our group were instructed to cover their arms and some were given a shawl to wear.

 

Some heavy duty deal going down. Yo.

 

I bought 60% of my souvenirs from this guy. He is a Muslim and my favourite trader. Unlike most of the Muslim and Christian traders I have come across, he did not attempt to pressure or coax me to buy his goods. His son is learning English and he encouraged him to practice on me. He (the kids' dad) and I talked in Arabic for a while, it was a lot of fun to practice even if we had to switch to English a few times because I was mangling the words horrifically. We discussed the role opf Jesus in the Bible and Quran and how they are different.

 
Yes, that is me smoking. It is called a hookah, and it is a water pipe. You puff on apple scented tobacco that is covvered with charcoal. Every time you suck in, the water at the bottom starts bubbling. You then blow the air out.

No I am not planning to take up smoking. But puffing on a hookah was a lot of fun.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment