Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Waging war against civilians

Yesterday began off as a pretty calm day. "Tom" and I went to the hospital where I saw a doctor who told me that my nose is getting better and that the cast will probably be taken off tomorrow. Then we went back to Kiryat Arba where I dropped off a copy of my medical report. Interestingly there was almost no wait. Instead of asking to be seen I just said I have something for Y. An officer came and took the papers and left.

We went back to the apartment when we got a call from Paulette, one of the long-term CPTers in Hebron. The army announced that they would close down three shops in the Old City. By "close down" I mean not only ban them from opening but weld them shut. Doing this ensures that the family of the owner loses their whole income. Some Palestinians have very big families, closing down one shop can affect dozens of people. The reason was quite simple. It was to punish the shopkeepers for the peaceful protests that take place every Saturday calling for an end to the military occupation of the city and the crimes of the settlers. During the rallies the shops are open and people often buy water and food from them.

When I say peaceful I mean peaceful. In Hebron, the organizers not only ban the use of any violence from Palestinians but they also enforce it. People who are caught throwing rocks or attempting to start scuffles with the army are immediately reprimanded and they do not do it again. In some Palestinian villages people do throw stones at the heavily armed soldiers. They usually miss because the soldiers are out of range. But in Hebron, no rocks are thrown. Non-violence is taken seriously. I have had the privilege of attending a planning meeting before a protest and I was amazed by the emphasis on enforcing non-violence and even attempts by the organizers to appeal to the soldiers, not condemning them.

People began gathering in front of the shops. They were mostly Palestinians. There was also the CPT team, EAPPI, 4 ISMers and activists from across North America and Europe, including a Jewish American girl. The shopkeepers asked us to be there with them and not leave their stores. They were mostly elderly men. I saw the pain and resignation in their eyes as they began to empty their shops. Yet they asked us to stay.

The soldiers were then in their base, which is located right next to the shops. I saw a police official leering out at us from under the gate. We saw other soldiers taking up positions at rooftops above us. Some people began yelling at the soldiers, telling them in English that they do not have to do this. I spoke to some of them. I told them they are not bad people and that they know that this is wrong and that these people have not done anything to harm them. I told them I know they do not agree with this and that they can make the choice to not follow orders that they know are wrong. I kep repeating the same thing over and over again. Paulette was talking to them about the Torah and how the prophets loved justice. Some of them looked away and others seemed even convicted. Their commander poked his head from behind the gate and pointed his finger at me and told me to shut up. They were also taking pictures of everyone in the crowd.

Some younger Palestinian men came up with the idea to take apart the doors to the shops. If the doors were gone, it would not be possible to weld them closed. I thought it was a brilliant and creative move. They did not get to finish.

The gate swung open and the soldiers rushed out. Some people moved into the shops, including Tom. He displayed courage that I do not have. The soldiers began shoving people to the right and left corner of the streets. I was pushed but nothing bad happened to me. Then they charged at the people who barricaded themselves in the shops and those who did not move fast enough for their liking. I did not see "Tom" get arrested, but he told me they grabbed him by the hair. I believe him completely. I saw the soldiers grab Palestinian men and roughly throw them to the pavement and then jump on top of them. It was extremely brutal and distressing to watch. Then they moved into the other shops. One of them grabbed Paulette by her arm and shoved her very hard, pushing her into the crowd. No one on the Palestinian side used any violence, in either offense or self-defence.

They blocked off the crowds from the stores and then other soldiers came and began welding them shut. They began pushing people back and declaring that this is a "closed military zone" and that if we stayed we would be arrested.

I got very close to the soldiers who were in front of us and began speaking to them. A lot of them looked very young, many of them looked like they were straight out of high school. I talked to them slowly and calmly (anyone who knows me personally can testify to the fact that this is a rare occurence in itself). I began telling them about the men whose shops were being welded shut, that they had families who would now not be able to support themselves. I asked them to think of shopkeepers in Israel, if anyone in their family owns a shop. I told them I know that they have mothers and fathers and grandparents and girlfriends and wives in Tel Aviv and Haifa and Netanya who love them; and that these people are no different from their family. I told them their families would be much happier if they were with them now rather than victimizing Palestinian families. I told the soldiers that I know that most of them are decent people and that they are intelligent enough to know that the shopkeepers have never harmed them and that this is so wrong. I reminded them that no one in this city has even thrown a rock at them. I told them that I don't hate them and neither do most Palestinians. I said many things to them. I told them that I do not know a lot about Judaism but that I do know that their religion teaches them to behave justly. I said to them that they are created in the image and likeness of God and that so are the Palestinians. I asked them what their rabbis would say if they knew what they are doing. I told them that God sees what they are doing.

I think the words had some effect. Many of the soldiers who were listening began looking very uncomfortable and I think that the reality of what they were doing began to sink in. Some told me to shut up, others were quietly asking me to please stop and one looked like he was about to cry. Once in a while one of them would push me away gently.

Their commander, a very tall man wearing dark sunglasses, rushed out and began yelling at me. He grabbed me by the shoulders and roughly shoved me away from his men. I walked back to them and kept talking to them. I did not say anything to condemn them, I only appealed to them. I think that hit harder than if I swore at them or said anything offensive. I wouldn't do that anyways.

The commander came out again and began poking his finger in my face and screaming at me that he would arrest me and asking me if I wanted to be arrested and telling me it is a "closed military zone". I told him I did not want to be arrested but I would not leave the Palestinians and informed him that this is not a closed military zone but an open civilian area where people are trying to make a living to feed their families. He grabbed me again and shoved me away and yelled some more things. He jabbed his finger at me, pointing me out to some soldiers behind the cordon. The police chief walked up to me and asked me where I live, I said Hebron. He asked me where and I told him I was not obligated to tell him. He smiled at me and told me he will find out where I live. He told me I am saying "bad things" to the soldiers. I asked him what am I saying that is bad, he said never mind.

The young Jewish American girl was telling the soldiers about her roots and that she is proud to be Jewish and that she would never behave like them. She told them that her tax money is paying for the guns they are holding and could she now take them back please. She invited them to party with her and the Palestinians and internationals if they were to just hand the weapons over.

The CPTers who were standing beside me were also pushed around a lot and threatened with arrest. I saw the soldiers call a Palestinian man over, crooking his finger like at a small child. The man walked over and they took away his ID. I saw fear in his face. Palestinian men, women and children stood steadfastly by the line. I saw a three young women wearing hijabs trying to talk to the soldiers. I saw another young women film them on her camera. Some Palestinian children got close to the soldiers and were taunting them. They were pushed away and yelled at too. I saw some older Palestinians ask them to leave the area.

After about four hours the soldiers finished welding up the shops and retreated back to their base. Some of us just stood there, watching them. Suddenly we heard a loud BOOM and people began covering their ears and running for cover. The soldiers threw a sound grenade to terrify the people. We saw them laughing as they want back to their base.

There was a disturbing scene as some of the children collected papers and just set them on fire. The flames spread and had to be put out. Adults ran towards them yelling at them in Arabic and telling them to go home. They laughed and started another one. I am very concerned for many of the Palestinian kids I see in Hebron. Many of them are becoming desensitized to the violence that is taking place around them. I sometimes see kids fight each other and often beat donkeys and abuse animals like dogs. Often they do not listen to Palestinian adults and only react when they are yelled at or slapped. I think they are internalizing the violence they see around them and it is becoming a normal part of life. When a just peace finally comes I can't imagine how much counseling and therapy it will take to help them.

I have rarely been as angry and upset as I was after what I saw yesterday. What I witnessed was a brutal show of force against innocent civilians. The action targeted innocent people to punish others for peacefully expressing opposition to a system that treats them as if they lesser human beings. I have witnessed brutality from settlers, but have never seen the soldiers in Hebron act like this before. Once again, I cannot emphasize enough that this was completely unprovoked and there was no violence from the Palestinian side. I can't help but wonder when will their patience run out.

This was also a war crime. According to international law, collective punishment is a war crime. What I witnessed was nothing less than an act of war waged against people who were unable to defend themselves.


"Tom" was released yesterday morning. The soldiers dropped him off in the middle of Beit Rumeida settlement at 2:30 in the morning. Some of the most violent and extremist settlers live in that area. He was dropped off there and left to find his way home at night. Thank God nothing happened to him.

Tom said that in the police station, one of the Palestinian men who was arrested was taken outside and beaten in the stomach for laughing at a joke. He heard him grunting in pain and the blows fell. The police chief yelled directly in "Tom's" face and slammed his fist into the desk but did not touch him. I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been for him.

Tom is a funny guy and he utilized his sense of humour while being detained. When asked about his religion, he told the interrogator that was born in a Jewish home yet raised as a Christian, but that the experience with the police made him become a Hindu. The exasperated interrogator didn't know what to write down. After being fingerprinted he decorated the wall with this handprints. They had a lot of problems with him and he didn't make it easy for then. That is a good thing.
He has been banned from the West Bank for 50 days and had to leave today.

The other 5 Palestinian men who were arrested are still in prison, we do not know when they will be released. One of them is being charged with "assault". That is a ridiculous lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment